A U-turn (where legal) can be a useful maneuver in certain situations, such as when you miss your exit or need to turn around on a narrow road. However, it can also be a challenging maneuver that requires careful attention and skill. In this blog post, we will provide you with some tips and techniques for how to do a U-turn safely and effectively.
- Check Your Surroundings: Before attempting a U-turn, it is important to check your surroundings carefully. Look for oncoming traffic, pedestrians, and obstacles that may be in your path. Make sure that you have a clear view in all directions before proceeding.
- Use Your Turn Signal: Let other drivers know that you are planning to make a U-turn by using your turn signal. This will help to avoid confusion and prevent accidents.
- Choose a Safe Location: Look for a location that is wide enough to accommodate your vehicle, and where there is enough space for you to make the turn safely. Avoid making a U-turn on a busy street, a hill, or a blind curve. If possible, use a designated U-turn area or a driveway.
- Slow Down: Reduce your speed as you approach the turn and come to a complete stop if necessary. Make sure that you have enough space to make the turn without hitting anything.
- Turn the Wheel Sharply: Turn the steering wheel sharply to the left or right, depending on which direction you need to turn. Keep your eyes on the road ahead and watch for other vehicles, pedestrians, or obstacles.
- Accelerate Smoothly: Once you have completed the turn, accelerate smoothly and merge back into traffic. Check your mirrors and blind spots to make sure that it is safe to proceed.
- Practice: Like any other driving skill, U-turns require practice to master. Start by practicing in a quiet, empty parking lot or a deserted road. Once you feel comfortable, you can try making U-turns in more challenging situations.Co
U-turns can be a useful maneuver in certain situations, but they require careful attention and skill. By following these tips and techniques, you can make U-turns safely and effectively. Always remember to check your surroundings, use your turn signal, choose a safe location, slow down, turn the wheel sharply, accelerate smoothly, and practice.
Join 500,000 drivers who use a DriveSafe Online defensive driving course to receive an auto insurance discount or to dismiss a traffic ticket.
Whether you need to clean up your driving record to satisfy court requirements and improve your standing with your insurance provider, or you want to lower your auto insurance rate, a DriveSafe Online defensive driving course completion certificate could be worth hundreds of dollars in discount savings on your insurance premium.
DriveSafe Online can also help businesses get fleet drivers safety certified in as little as 60 minutes. DriveSafe Online fleet driver safety courses are designed to help decrease employee downtime, increase workforce productivity, and prevent costly accidents before they happen. Whether employees drive company vehicles or their personal cars to complete business tasks, training your drivers is smart business.
Select I’M READY to lock in your low course price now. You can begin the course whenever your schedule allows.